Richard D. Scott
Email: click here to contact
- Virginia, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2014
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia, 2001
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2002
- University of Richmond, J.D.
- BV® Distinguished™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® for professionalism and ethics
- Named to the 2014 Virginia/West Virginia “Super Lawyers” list by SuperLawyers Magazine in the area of Business Bankruptcy
Associations & memberships
- Virginia State Bar (Member, Bankruptcy Law Section)
- Virginia Bar Association (Member, Bankruptcy Law Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Roanoke Bar Association
Richard was born in Roanoke in 1971. He attended the University of Virginia, graduating with a B.A. in History in 1993. He obtained his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Richmond School of Law in 1999. While at Richmond, he was a member of the Richmond Law Review, serving as a Notes & Comments Editor in 1998-1999. He was also a member of the Moot Court Board, serving as its Intrascholastic Competitions Chair in 1998. He was inducted into Richmond’s scholastic honor society, the McNeil Law Society, in 1998.
He was admitted to the Virginia bar in October of 1999, and is admitted to practice in the Federal District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts in the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia.
Richard is a member of the Virginia State Bar, where he has served as the Editor of the Bankruptcy Law Section’s Bankruptcy Law News journal and as a Circuit Representative for the Roanoke area with the State Bar’s Young Lawyers’ Conference. He is also active in the Virginia Bar Association, where he is a member of its Bankruptcy Law Section and a former Young Lawyers’ Committee liaison to the VBA’s Western District Committee on Federal Judgeships. He is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Richard is also a member of the Roanoke Bar Association. He was honored by the Roanoke Bar Association in 2007 as the recipient of its Young Lawyer of the Year award, recognizing outstanding contributions to clients, the bar and the Roanoke community. He has served on the Bar Association’s Board of Directors, as co-chair of the Board’s Library and Communications Committee.
Richard is a former president of the U.Va. Club of the Roanoke Valley, and still serves on the Club’s board of directors. He is also a member of the board of Cavaliers for Education in the Roanoke Valley, Inc. He is a former member of the board of directors of the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra.
Richard lives in Roanoke with his wife, Melissa, and enjoys fishing, church softball and U.Va. athletics.